or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Tyre Valve snapped off!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rich210uk   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 03:15am
Biohead, mine have all broke along the thread on the stem.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 03:22am

Member No: #90
rich210uk wrote ...

Had loads of cars and never had snapping stems even after removing metal caps with pliers!

If you put metal caps on your stems then by virtue of bi-metallic corrosion they will stick. That's why your alloy wheels stick to the hubs. - Click Here -

You mention that the Citroen Stems are
cheap cheap cheap
but don't suppose you didn't think that perhaps they weren't designed to have metal caps put on them?

There are plenty of threads on here about the problems of using metal caps on the Pressure Sensing stems.
rich210uk   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 03:26am
I havnt put metal caps on, as I said its had NOTHING to do with the caps. The metal is cheap, otherwise is wouldn’t break.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 03:38am

Member No: #1
rich210uk wrote ...

By the way 3 of mine snapped with 39-42k on the clock, so you did well to get to 100k! Cheap cheap cheap metals, nice one Citroen. Thats whats it comes down to at the end of the day. Had loads of cars and never had snapping stems even after removing metal caps with pliers!

Another ill informed reply. The valves and stems aren't made by Citroen but come from a third party supplier and are used by a wide range of vehicle manufacturers, not just Citroen.

Tyre pressure sensing valves are different to normal valves which will be the reason you probably haven't had a problem in the past.
rich210uk   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 03:53am
what is wrong with you "another ill informed reply" Who cares where and who made them? There still cheap and still breaking. Theres no need to make stupid remarks like that.

I have had pressure sensors in the past and never had problems with them.
Rich_Eason   
Wed Oct 20 2010, 07:15am

rich210uk wrote ...

what is wrong with you "

rich210uk wrote ...

Theres no need to make stupid remarks like that.

I suggest you ask yourself the same question....

Whilst the valves are a known weakness there are many posts on the site about them and the potential causes... I never had a problem with them and treated them with respect.

I suggest you heed this advice to both your valves and other members of this forum.
gazman   
Fri Oct 22 2010, 11:21am
Member No: #4202
rich210uk wrote ...

Hi all

I needed to put some air in my front tyre yesterday, the tyre is only a few months old but looked a bit low. I knelt down, unscrewed the plastic cap and BANG the valve just snapped and shot like a gun across the petrol station. All the air out in about 10 seconds scared the hell out of me and everyone else filling up.

Im guessing that when they changed the tyre the valve has been damaged but not sure if I can prove it was them. I havnt touched it since them nor have I hit the curb or knocked it in anyway.

Is this likely going to cost me loads?

It says the Valve was replaced when they done the tyre, is that only the bit inside not the bit the dust cap sits on?

Im glad it didnt go off while driving it and im also glad I wasnt standing in front of it! I saw the other thread about the leaking valves but wasnt sure if this was the same sort of thing!

Cheers!

Amazingly the exact same thing has just happened to me in every detail that you describe and with sensor valves too! It just snapped off the moment I attached the air pump to it, nearly blew my head off!

I was lucky enough to have got mine repaired (today) under a no excess insurance policy claim, although I believe my insurers have actually put in a claim against the petrol station for the now completed work!

I am glad I did as the work came to a staggering £150, just to have a new sensor valve fitted plus balancing!

All of my valves originally had metal dust caps on which had literally just welded to the valves.

I replaced them all with plastic dust caps, but the rear ones especially seem very brittle and are always covered in white dust!
Rich_Eason   
Fri Oct 22 2010, 11:24am

gazman wrote ...

and are always covered in white dust!

A result of bi-metallic corrosion. Two dissimilar metals in contact corroding against each other.
gazman   
Fri Oct 22 2010, 11:33am
Member No: #4202
Rich_Eason wrote ...

gazman wrote ...

and are always covered in white dust!

A result of bi-metallic corrosion. Two dissimilar metals in contact corroding against each other.

Sounds as though the other valves could soon follow suit then, although there is still some thread on them at the moment!
Rich_Eason   
Fri Oct 22 2010, 02:40pm

The thread will take years to disappear...

It's the same principle as when your alloy wheels get stuck on the steel hub. You could use some sort of grease on the threads but this may create other problems such as getting in the valves. Easiest would be to use plastic caps.
Darren   
Fri Oct 22 2010, 03:09pm
Member No: #5650
Copper Grease or Plastic caps yes.

In my job it's a guaranteed defect on any work that I inspect if there's dissimilar metals touching, and I reject it and send it back. Can't have corrosion issues out at sea, simply for the practicality and the warranty purposes for the company.

Always think before adding metal caps without the protection.

As for the caps being cheap and brittle, then aren't all valves like that? Much like wheel nuts, they aren't meant to be wound impossibly tight. If you had the car from used, then possible they were weakened by an owner before?

Lots of variables can add up to come to your conclusion.
robbie-rocket-pants   
Sun Nov 21 2010, 09:12am
C6 Dave, Can the "Tyre pressures not monitored" warning be disabled using the Lexia leads & software sold on ebay or does it have to be at a dealer ?

e.g - Click Here -
Darren   
Sun Nov 21 2010, 09:14am
Member No: #5650
Lexia will remove it. As long as you have the Genuine Lexia system then you should be able to do it.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Nov 21 2010, 01:02pm

Member No: #1
robbie-rocket-pants wrote ...

C6 Dave, Can the "Tyre pressures not monitored" warning be disabled using the Lexia leads & software sold on ebay or does it have to be at a dealer ?

e.g - Click Here -

I don't see any software with that so you need to check before buying, or you have to pay again for the discs (or download virus infected files from China)
vts180   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 01:43pm
Member No: #7328

Im after just the new valve to screw into the sensor, but not sure which part to go for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Couple of options on the link.
Thanks
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member