or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Interior and lights

A warning!! - Re: cheap bulbs off ebay

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
glossevans   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 03:50pm
Member No: #10878
All,

A quick heads-up to those of you who have recently bought some of the cheap bulbs off ebay (99p a pair etc).

I fitted mine just a couple of day ago and noticed that the drivers side one just didn't seem right:
- not quite as bright.
- beam seemed a little higher.

Anyway, it failed on me this evening on my way home (no warning in the Log though - even when selected). I know for sure it was OK when I set off from work cos I had a quick check just to make sure it was seated right in the holder.

When I arrived back home I got out and gave the headlight a tap (as you always do?!) , and the light came back on.

Just been out now to have a look see and found that the bulb in question now looks ilke this:

It was still working but there is obvioulsy something definitely not right for the glass to have melted like this.

The second bulb I received is fine so maybe I just got unlucky, but I've 3 bulbs now;
- 1 is OK,
- 1 didn't work at all on receipt and was replaced,
- 1 is the one shown above.

Needless to say, I'm now back to the old yellowy ones until I can find something a little better quality.

Be careful with em folks, and keep an eye on em!

Now which one of you said something about you get what you pay for!!

Edit - updated to correct a couple of (fairly awful) typo's!
routemaster1   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 04:26pm
Member No: #574
On my Picasso the system does not pick up a blown bulb until you switch on the next time. It ssems that the system checks the bulbs, which it finds OK. The lghts then switch on and the bulb blows. Next time you start the system finds the blown bulb. This is how it's happened for me, and with Nightbreakers it has been fairly frequent. However, others have reported a different course of events.
MiniPaulo   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 04:34pm
Member No: #13367
you didn't touch it with your fingers did you?
glossevans   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 05:02pm
MiniPaulo wrote ...

you didn't touch it with your fingers did you?

No, absolutely sure about that!

I thought the same thing when I saw it.
That perhaps some grease had got on to the glass and that was creating a hot spot that was just too hot.

Adamant I didn't touch it though.

Now, how sure am I that somewhere in the manufacturing, packing and shipping process it didn't get touched?

Darren   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 05:54pm
Member No: #5650
Refund is in order I think!
stuartj   
Wed Oct 13 2010, 07:10pm
Dont know how true it is but dont you have to be careful what Bulbs you fit into headlights that have plastic lenses?
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 02:11am

Member No: #1
stuartj wrote ...

Dont know how true it is but dont you have to be careful what Bulbs you fit into headlights that have plastic lenses?

Correct, those 99p bulbs could be a very costly mistake and from what I have read above, should be avoided.
Sonny   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 12:30pm
Anything like a bulb for 99p should raise a big question mark//
Biohead   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 12:35pm

Member No: #6049
I wonder how much power they draw from the system? Even cheap and thin glass shouldn't do that unless you're putting an awful lot of power through them.

I'm guessing at least 100w! The standards are what? 75w?
glossevans   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 01:11pm
Biohead wrote ...

I wonder how much power they draw from the system? Even cheap and thin glass shouldn't do that unless you're putting an awful lot of power through them.

I'm guessing at least 100w! The standards are what? 75w?

Well the box said 55W........................
bandyquill   
Thu Oct 14 2010, 02:37pm
Member No: #3258
i know mine are HID's but they are 55w and they get no where near hot enough to do that to themselfes, you might want to check the bulb housing for damage incase its melted any of the reflector...
Rich_Eason   
Fri Oct 15 2010, 04:41am

Member No: #90
You whack 2 100w bulbs on standard wiring you kiss goodbye to any wire or switches working within 10mins of switching them on....
Paperhouse   
Sun Apr 17 2011, 12:08pm
Member No: #14691
routemaster1 wrote ...

On my Picasso the system does not pick up a blown bulb until you switch on the next time. It ssems that the system checks the bulbs, which it finds OK. The lghts then switch on and the bulb blows. Next time you start the system finds the blown bulb. This is how it's happened for me, and with Nightbreakers it has been fairly frequent. However, others have reported a different course of events.

My Picasso never tells me when a bulb has blown. It is a feature of only the Exclusive?
Michaelhuey72   
Sun Aug 07 2016, 09:42am
Member No: #45791
For anyone after the xenon look without a conversion and a good price wotefusi on amazon do some really good 55w 4000k white bulbs recently fitted them they're a major improvement on the standard halogen ones and a bargain at £6.40 a pair

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member