or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 VTR+ 1.6Hdi 110bhp - Diesel Leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
farrelj   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 03:03am
Hi All, just bought this car privately at the weekend and since filling it up with diesel noticed a strong diesel smell and fuel patches on the driveway. Quick look from the local garage yesterday suggested that there is a "top" fuel tank that could be leaking. It's getting a proper look today but was wondering if anyone could confirm this "top" tank set up or if anyone has had the same or similar issues and what their experience was.

No smell of diesel when viewing and test driving the car but there wasn't a full tank of fuel, so seems related to fuel volume.

It's a 2006/55 C4 VTR+ 1.6Hdi 110bhp.

Any advice much appreciated.
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 04:30am

Member No: #82
Hi, farrelj, and welcome to C4Owners.org!

Here's a diagram of the fuel tank of a 1.6HDi 5 door. Yours may differ slightly as I do not have your VIN number.

It does look like the tank and upper filler system (the top tank?) are a single unit.
farrelj   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 04:54am
Thanks BigJohnD; it's the 3 door coupé not sure if this makes a difference to the fuel tank set-up but as you say looks like a single unit. It's in the garage at the moment so I'll hopefully know more soon.
farrelj   
Fri Oct 08 2010, 12:00pm
Hi all, it was the fuel tank seal (04 in the diagram - thanks for posting that BigJohn!) so not as major as he first thought. £3 part and and hours labour - phew.
BigJohnD   
Fri Oct 08 2010, 12:09pm

Thanks for posting that. That's noted for others who can smell fuel in the car.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Oct 08 2010, 12:13pm

Member No: #1
farrelj wrote ...

Hi all, it was the fuel tank seal (04 in the diagram - thanks for posting that BigJohn!) so not as major as he first thought. £3 part and and hours labour - phew.

Might be the answer for a few previous posts on 'fuel smell' as well
Rich_Eason   
Sat Oct 09 2010, 02:54am

Member No: #90
I take it "2" is the top of the sender unit which is under the black plastic disc on the rear seat squab panel?
BigJohnD   
Sat Oct 09 2010, 03:47am

Rich_Eason wrote ...

I take it "2" is the top of the sender unit which is under the black plastic disc on the rear seat squab panel?

Yes. They vary a bit - the diagram shows the unit from a diesel.
CharlieT   
Tue Jan 04 2011, 04:20am
I have a strong intermittent petrol smell on my 1.4 petrol C4, which i have just bought. I need some solution as two garages have been unable to find a problem ?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jan 04 2011, 05:18am

Member No: #1
charcoal canister electrovalve under the offside front wheel arch or a leaking injector seal are the usual suspects.
walshy01   
Tue Oct 04 2011, 10:08am
2 garages cannot find the cause for mine too.

I have narrowed it down to if I've been driving on the motorway for about 30 mins and then take the exit and stop at the lights that is when I can smell the fuel.

Garages have checked the seals and i had a brand new Citroen electro-valve canister put in recently, do you think the new one could be dodgy? If so any thing I can do to sort it? cheers

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member