or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Weather getting cold? C4 Cold Weather shield time!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Biohead   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 04:22pm

Member No: #6049
I'm hoping Dave can make this a sticky, and we can also add pics of the Picasso variant too.

For those of us who have the HDi engine in the UK, the cold weather shield is recommended when the temperature drops below 10C. It helps keep the engine within the optimum temperature range, therefore keeping MPG up in cold weather.

They simply clip on to the front of the grille.

I ordered one in from my local Citroen garage (I tried [Dealer 1], but the postage cost outweighs the savings, they aren't expensive) and picked it up today.

Part number for Coupe/Hatch = 7429.G4
Part number for facelift Coupe/Hatcg = 7429.HO
Part number for Picassos's = 7429.F4

The cost is just over £13, plus VAT. It may fluctuate slightly but expect it to be around that.

Here's a photo of the non-facelift version. After first deciding I was trying to put it on upside down, and then working out which level of the grille it fitted to... I finally got there whilst it was still light!

If anyone has the Picasso version, please post and add a picture of it fitted and the part number, then I can update this post.

1 User said Thank You to Biohead for this Post :
 John4070 (24 Sep 2019 : 08:41)
BigJohnD   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 04:27pm

Member No: #82
I could well be getting one as well, though we don't get much in the way of sub-zero temps here by the Irish Sea - about 100m away!
MiniPaulo   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 04:32pm
Member No: #13367
I shall get one too, with the mileage I do, it would be a benefit, have you got any pics out of the packing BioH?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 05:12pm

Member No: #1
Scott, the part numbers are all in the FAQ here: - Click Here -

Don't forget the recommendation is to fit when temperatures remain below +10c and mine is still in the boot

We aren't there yet in the UK so watch that temperature gauge to make sure the car doesn't overheat.
Darren   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 09:32pm
Member No: #5650
I might try that. Got a new Citroen garage that's opened by me so I need to try them out anyway.
amjl2000   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 10:49pm
Member No: #5047
Just out of interest, are these babies recommended for long journeys as well as short? I would imagine that if you were doing a cross country trip then it would be best to take it off after a hundred miles or so to prevent overheating... though it would be easy to persuade me otherwise.
wozza   
Tue Oct 05 2010, 11:46pm

Member No: #2
If the weather is cold then fine to leave them on. The idea is they help keep everything warm.
Jimux   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 02:19am

Member No: #8137
The advice is to use it below 10C for all journeys but if you are doing a 2 mile school run at 15C then it would also be an advantage. Some early manuals stated use below 15C.

Long journeys at a steady 50 mph on cruise control will actually run the engine colder than stop/start around town as the air flow is greater and fuel used per mile lower.

The shield has a second function of reducing salt spray and dirt entry to the engine compartment as this tends to form a low laying 'mist' at ground level on busy dual carriageways.
BigJohnD   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 03:23am

Member No: #82
I've had a winter screen on a previous Citroën.

Once the temp drops, put it on and leave it. It works well, but remember to take it off once the temp rises to about 10°C.
HoneyMonster   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 03:58am
Member No: #1443
I just made one from a piece of lino and some cable ties for our grand picasso 2.0 Hdi which worked well last winter. Was just an old off cut of lino which i cut to size with scissors then sprayed with satin black and four cable ties in the end stayed secure and worked well.

Biohead   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 01:50pm

First post updated...

A view from the side too. Can see it slightly better.

It only partially covers the radiator (good) but it also partially covers the intercooler (bad) unlike the one shown for the C6.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 01:54pm

Member No: #1
Keep am eye on the temperature gauge and let us know how it's working as it's supposedly still a bit on the 'mild' side'
Biohead   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 02:23pm

It's not on yet Dave - still in the boot. Although we all know what our weather's like!

That said, this term at Uni will mean the car only gets used on a short 2 mile trip to work at 6am on weekends, so I might put it on anyway and see if it at least lets me warm up quicker
pedal   
Wed Oct 06 2010, 04:10pm
Member No: #503
i'm umin and r'in about some steels and winter tryes from mytryes.com prices have been increasing for the last few weeks, then jumped a bit on the news that russians expecting there worse winter for a 1000yrs... apparently we get our winter weather from russia (im no weather expert.. mate told me this, )

winter tyres with rims are around £500 for decent make was £400 early last month!

had my radiator shield on for about 2 weeks, only took it off when i've got to travel more than 10~15miles.
Jimux   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 12:32am

Member No: #8137
The 'winter tyre' expression is interesting. I've noticed that the Michelin website now refers to the standard Premacy HP tyres as 'summer tyres. No such description when I bought the car.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member