or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Weather getting cold? C4 Cold Weather shield time!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
routemaster1   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 01:27am
Member No: #574
What confuses me somewhat is the need for winter tyres in the UK, particularly in the south. I can understand it in central Europe, but Derbyshire is hardly arctic.

We have someone at work who has a car originally purches in Switzerland which seems to be fitte with some kind of intermediate tyre, and I've also seen many sets in Austria during the summer. I think I'll talk to the owner.
Rich_Eason   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 01:55am

Member No: #90
routemaster1 wrote ...

What confuses me somewhat is the need for winter tyres in the UK, particularly in the south. I can understand it in central Europe, but Derbyshire is hardly arctic.

Also remember that those countries with cold climates, the roads and surfaces are designed to cope with the climate variations within that country.

The roads here in the UK have to cope with a higher intensity of use (higher wear) and wider extremes of temperature.
wozza   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 02:23am

Member No: #2
Winter tyres aren't just for snowy conditions etc. Your normal tyres aren't really that good even in lower temperatures, even with no snow a winter tyre is better then. Anything under around 7 degrees and the winter tyres are better. They are for colder wetter months not just for snow.
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 02:29am

Member No: #82
Actually, the Peak District gets pretty cold and attracts lots of snow. My Mrs was trapped there last year and her car registered below -10ºC.

As Tom says, it's about the tyre compound as much as anything. Summer tyres just don't flex enough nor get warm enough at around freezing point.

Last year there was only one day of snow here and there were only a few occasions when the temp dropped below 0°C, so how essential winter tyres are for me? Though they would be really handy on the two or three days they're actually needed.
trev h   
Thu Oct 07 2010, 05:11am
Member No: #10864
Pics of the GP with the winter grill fitted - only temp though as were having a mini heating wave down here at the moment!!

BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 05 2010, 08:52am

Some photos of my winter grille, which I've not put on yet, as it's not really cold enough.

"Obturateur pare neige" translates roughly as "snow shutter/barrier".
Ham   
Fri Nov 05 2010, 09:33am

Member No: #69
routemaster1 wrote ...

Have you been to North Derbyshire in winter when it snows?
You'll find the plenty of villages get cut off and impassable roads with a good snow fall.
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 05 2010, 11:39am

Some of my family live in the Peak District and they really suffered last year. Many roads blocked with snow and -10°C on several occasions.
pedal   
Fri Nov 05 2010, 12:28pm
Member No: #503
It better goddam snow thats all I say, I aint brought my winter tyres because the tread looks pretty..lol
PentlandC4   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:45pm
Member No: #13613
Packed my cold weather shield away last week...

...then checked the forecast for this week - it's back out, and fitted again.

How have people been finding them? Over the last few months, I've found it a great bit of kit. Quick heater warm-ups, and fuel economy unaffected by the cold. The only drawback is, if I mention it to anybody, they wonder what I'm talking about.

Another advantage is that it's a C4owners badge for the front of the car. No shield, obviously not a member!

pedal   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 02:23pm
Member No: #503
mines staying on till its forecast constantly above 10C, did the same last year, ended up basically on til April.
PentlandC4   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 03:24pm
Member No: #13613
Looks like it'll be the same here. I was fooled by some unseasonably high temperatures; still, it's quick enough to remove it.
Biohead   
Sun Mar 06 2011, 04:39pm

Member No: #6049
Anyone any ideas on whether I should leave it on for a 150ish mile trip next weekend? I'm presuming it'll still be below 10C then, but with it being a motorway slog the engine will be doing a fair bit more work than usual.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 01:35am

Member No: #1
As it's getting warmer and it does say take it off for motorway driving err on the side of caution.

You could leave it and watch the temp gauge, but I have removed the C6's as I don't have one so am not prepared to risk it.....
Jimux   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 01:48am

Member No: #8137
It all depends on your style of driving. If you run at 70 mph the engine is working 40% harder than at 55 mph. I have added a led across the fan leads so I can see the fan cut in. It's only done it once when sitting idling in a queue after coming off the motorway.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member