or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Couple of questions about my newly purchased 05 VTS

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
nicholas221078   
Thu Sep 23 2010, 08:45am
Hi all, got an 05 VTS the other day

I'll start off by saying it drives spot on very smooth. steering is tight and brakes are brill.

I just get an intermittent noise from the front passenger wheel side. Like I say driving there's no problem but now and again. After being parked, I pull away from the curb turning right back into a road and i get a grating clunk for a second, I can't make it do it just does it now and again and only from pulling away and turning.

What could it be?

Also there's a tappet type noise from the engine all the way through the rev range, is this normal?

And sorry, last I've read different there's something changed in the service schedule mileage for an 05 petrol is it 12,500 miles, my Megane 225 was 18,000. Didn't notice when I bought it that its due in 750mile on the display, but that's my fault for not checking

thanks
Rich_Eason   
Thu Sep 23 2010, 09:11am

Member No: #90
nicholas221078 wrote ...

i just get an intermittant noise from the front passenger wheel side.like i say driving theres no problem but now and again. after being parked i pull away from the curb turning right back into a rd and i get a grateing clunk for a second, i cantvmake it do it just does it now and again and only from pulling away and turning
what could it be

"Could be" your CV Joint. Way to test is to put the car on full lock both ways and drive slowly in complete circles. If you feel any clunks or lurches the CV joint may be on its way.

Wheels all on tight?

Anti Role bars can also make a noise when worn.

nicholas221078 wrote ...

also theres a tappet type noise from the engine all the way through the rev range,is this normal

Mine used to do this sometimes but never found the source... There is an anti pollution canister in the right front wing that makes a continuous ticking. Make sure that any bulk head sound proofing hasnt dropped onto the head area as this can vibrate and make a noise.

nicholas221078 wrote ...

and sorry, last ive read different theres something changed in the service shedule mileage for an 05 petrol is it 12500 miles

Fraid so, 12,500 or 12months which ever sooner. Some manuals were printed with the longer intervals however these were ammended by an erratum included loose in the manual.
nicholas221078   
Thu Sep 23 2010, 10:04am
hi thanks for the qquick reply
i did fasten the proofing back up as it was loose but the tapping is heard when the window is down and gets faster with revs and slows down with revs

ill test the cv but wouldnt it do something while driving in a straight line or fast round a tight bend
i know what most faults feel like as my megane 225 was riddled with steering issues.
also how do i check the anti roll
thanks again
Rich_Eason   
Thu Sep 23 2010, 10:24am

Member No: #90
nicholas221078 wrote ...

i did fasten the proofing back up as it was loose but the tapping is heard when the window is down and gets faster with revs and slows down with revs

Dont know then...have you got under the bonnet to see where the source of the sound is?

nicholas221078 wrote ...

ill test the cv but wouldnt it do something while driving in a straight line or fast round a tight bend

Not necessarily...as you turn the CV Joint "loads up". Its the common way to test them without stripping down. Again have you had a visual look to see if they are ok? Boots ok? Any splits?

nicholas221078 wrote ...

also how do i check the anti roll

Visual inspection of the rubber bushes is the easiest way or to lever it with a pry bar for any movements at the joint.

If the car has any sort of warranty, take it in with your concerns.
nicholas221078   
Sat Sep 25 2010, 08:05am
tried the above things and didnt find any probs turning slow full lock etc

now when i was between 65 mph and 75mph i get steering shaking,do you think this is just wheel balance
cheers
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Sep 25 2010, 08:07am

Member No: #1
95% chance wheels require balancing and it can take a few attempts if you pick the wrong place to do it.

5% chance the discs are warped, but that is reasonably rare.

Wheels FAQ is here: - Click Here -
nicholas221078   
Sat Sep 25 2010, 03:27pm
Well it's g0t after market alloys on 17 x 7 25mm offset 63.1 diameter spigot hole. Are standard VTS alloys x7 too as the link says C4 alloys are 17 x 6.5.

If mine are different will that effect the offset?

The alloys are fox fx2 in grey.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Sep 26 2010, 01:33am

Member No: #1
nicholas221078 wrote ...

well its goit after market alloys on 17 x 7 25mm offset 63.1 diameter spigot hole. are standard vts alloys x7 too as the link says c4 alloys are 17 x 6.5

if mine are different will that effect the offset

Have you got 'hub centric' spacers on which increase the bore to 65.1 so the wheel sits snugly on the hub?

If only the 4 bolts are holding the wheels in place your never going to get them running 100% true so yes you will get wheel wobble

7J as against 6.5J wide is fine, that in itself won't cause any issues, the actual spigot bore will though.
wozza   
Sun Sep 26 2010, 01:40am

Member No: #2
Guessing he is running the right bore just miss typed it.

Nothing wrong with running a 7j wheels. I run 18 x 8's with an ET25 offset. Although spacing it out to ET10.

A lot of 17's won't clear the brakes now. Due to spoke clearance.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member