or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

9,000+ kilometers - Krakow, Poland to Nordkapp, Norway and back in a C4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
MurrayHenson   
Tue Sep 21 2010, 02:33pm
Member No: #1827
My wife an I just finished an 18 day road trip through Poland, Sweden, Norway, back through Sweden, Denmark, Germany and back home to Poland. We did about 350 kilometers via ferries and the rest was rubber on tarmac.

The photos with our C4 in it are below but there are another 75 of, mostly, landscapes in Sweden and Norway. As our goal was to drive to Nordkapp, the somewhat symbolic "northern most point in Europe" most of the photos are from that general area.

The only issues we had with all that driving was that first the passenger front headlamp went out and then the driver's side headlamp went out a few days later. Changing these road-side in dim or no day light for the first time was an experience I hope not to repeat any time soon... but thanks to the headlamp changing guide here at c4owners (link: - Click Here - ) it wasn't TOO hideous.

One other issue I noticed several times (and have noticed a bit before we left on the trip): occasionally the car seems to be running VERY slightly rough. At the same time I notice that the fuel consumption is 2-3x of normal. The car doesn't sound different and only I (rather than passengers) notice the rough-running. The fix is to stop the car, turn it off and turn it back on (the amount of time between off and on doesn't matter). Then it's fine. I'm not sure if this is the car doing a DPFS particulate burn-off or not but it's not a big deal because it's easy to "fix".

Other than those very minor niggles we had a great trip. A few days it was raining pretty hard and we decided to sleep in the car instead of pitching the tent. Even sleeping in the car wasn't too bad. We averaged 5.2 L/100 km which is pretty good considering that there were two people and the back seat and boot were completely full... and while Sweden is pretty flat, Norway is not.

Rest of the photos are here: - Click Here -

stuartj   
Tue Sep 21 2010, 03:46pm
Some great Photos there Murray.. The one with the red houses by the lake with all the reflections in the water is excellent..

I would love to do a road trip like..

Stu
BigJohnD   
Tue Sep 21 2010, 03:55pm

Member No: #82
Excellent photos, and I love the campsite by the road!
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Sep 21 2010, 04:38pm

Member No: #1
That's some road trip given the type of roads you must have been on Brad. Nice pictures as well.
MurrayHenson   
Wed Sep 22 2010, 01:24am
Member No: #1827
A lot of the roads in northern Norway are single-lane (no lines down the middle) but are wide enough for two vehicles to comfortably pass. In the south of Norway, from Trondheim to Stord, we took the back roads many of which are single-lane but often are just wide enough for one car. At one memorable point our car, along with two others, had to reverse about 100 feet to a point where the road widened slightly so that a lorry could get through.

We also had fun driving the Trollstigen (link: - Click Here - ) road and other, similar roads in that area. At this point in the year it is well outside of the tourist season (though there were still tourists driving the roads) so it wasn't too crowded or busy.
Marty.tha.mouse   
Wed Sep 22 2010, 02:23am
I love your photo's MurrayHenson!!

I love Norway also! Since 2004 I've visited it about 8 times, but still didn't have the experience to drive all the way to the Nordkapp.. It's still on my wishlist! So I'm quite jealous on you

Both pictures of my car on my profile are taken in Norway. One near Fläm, and the other right after taking the Jotunheimwegen, where my car got quite dirty:)

But didn't you love to drive overthere? In the Netherlands it's always busy and people are rude, don't want you to pass and so on.. But over there everybody is so friendly, signal you to pass them if you ever meet anyone at all.. You can drive for hours and don't see another car! And the roads themselves are great! Not a single straight piece of road!

I'm sure you have enjoyed it!! Nice pictures!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member