or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 HDi What a dipstick!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Ham   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:15pm

Member No: #69
Heres a VTS 180 dipstick as requested, and as Rich spoke about.
looks strange for the bottom of yours to come off BigJohn, wondering if its a comon fault with 1.6 hdi's?

wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:19pm

Member No: #2
Will take pictures of mine tomorrow as its different still. Looks somewhat like the 2.0HDI but metal.
Phil   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:26pm

Member No: #406
BigJohnD wrote ...

Phil wrote ...
The first couple we came across we took the sumps off to retrive the end, now Citroen say there's no need to, and won't pay us anymore for doing so. I guess they must feel it's entirely safe.

Hello, Phil,

Are you saying that:
a) this is a known thing?
b) there's no further action required than to buy a new, hopefully improved, dipstick?
and
c) do I get free dipstick under warranty?

a) yes
b) yes
and errrr
c) yes!

The only problem we sometimes get is the end of the dipstick gets stuck in the guide tube.. (when you get your new dipstick, it won't go into the tube) We end up having to remove the tube and retrieving the bit that way.
Hollerz   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 03:30pm
Member No: #214
c4owner wrote ...

JD your end looks as though it's dropped off and is somewhere in the sump

C4 110 HDi Dipstick:

Just for more input, my 110 HDi also looks like this
cronus   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 03:53pm
Same thing happened to me last week while checking the oil level of my 1.6 HDI. Last part of the dipstick is broken with a tiny sound. I take it back from the hole and seen the same as your stick. Last part of the stick dropped to the oil tank..

First: Car can be moved, no worry, take it to the Citroen garage.

Second: It's a known issue and mine changed under warranty with a metal one with orange plastic head.

Third: They have to open the oil storage part of the motor(I don't know the English name), in Turkish "karter", and removed it, technician showed me the broken part.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 04:12pm

Member No: #1
Cronus thanks for the fedback

However Citroen UK are now saying that they won't pay for the oil reservoir - the 'sump' or storage tank in English to be removed to find the broken part as it's not necessary and won't cause any damage to the engine

Nice to hear you now have a metal one though so it can't hapen again
Rich_Eason   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 04:12pm

Member No: #90
It's nowt to worry about as that is what the filter is for, just not ideal having bits fall off into the engine.
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 04:21pm

Member No: #82
Great, thanks for all your help, you guys are the business.

I shall be visiting Caledonia in Chester about a new dipstick and associated work when I get back from Scotland at the end of the month, but at least I feel confident about driving the 2K miles north and back.

I can't imagine anywhere else where I'd have got so many detailed responses and photos of dipsticks(!) so quickly.

Rock on C4O!
cronus   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 01:11am
At first, I wasn't willing to open the motor sump to remove the broken part, as well as the technicians but they couldn't insert the new dipstick because of the broken and jammed old dipstick end.

They had to open the sump, pour out the oil to a clean container (I wanted them to use the oil again, because there is still 7000kms to change time) and open the oil filter part. Broken part of the dipstick was stuck at the turning point of the pipe, they used some type of hook to get it off. It wasn't an easy operation which took about 2:30 hours.

But after all this I didn't pay anything rather than the cleaning spray for sump insulation material which costs about 18YTL(10Euro)...

I think you should take your chance to insert the new dipstick first, but anyway, removing the broken part from the engine made me feel better..

neilos   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 06:06am
Member No: #209
Another dipstick here............. C4GP 2.0 Petrol

Rich_Eason   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 06:59am

They must have alot of different dipsticks at Citroen...
j-c   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 07:48am
THis is my dipstick..

Neil, your engine bay is looking a tad dirty, do you not clean it...

neilos   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 07:52am
Member No: #209
Hi JC.......i do, honest!! Whole car is filthy now though.......rained !cloud on it on Tuesday and it was that dusty rain that makes everything really dirty.....havent had time to see to it much to my embarrasment!!Neil
Rich_Eason   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 08:23am

neilos wrote ...

Hi JC.......i do, honest!! Whole car is filthy now though.......rained !cloud on it on Tuesday and it was that dusty rain that makes everything really dirty.....havent had time to see to it much to my embarrasment!!Neil

Sounds like an excuse to me.....
StevieB   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 02:01pm
Well as you have displayed all of your dipsticks.. It's only right and proper I show you mine ! LOL

Could be the Christmas quiz this Dave... " how many varieties of dipstick do Citroen have in their C4 models ? "

Cos mine's completely different again !!

This is from a July 07 Cool 1.6 HDi 92.

Its a sort of nylon /plastic effort.. Doesn't seem very strong to me.

I can see why it needs to be flexible, as the dipstick tube is a long curve as it goes into the engine sump..
Does seem a bit bizarre as there are so many variants though !!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member