or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Engine Modifications

C4 VTR 1.6 110bhp remap (Edit: Petrol engined)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Sonny   
Mon Sep 06 2010, 02:40pm
bandyquill wrote ...

i was under the impression ph1's were a straight swap...

does the car still start with the standard cams in ?

Think thats next on the list.
wozza   
Mon Sep 06 2010, 02:45pm

Member No: #2
Doubt there is anything wrong with the cams, possible but not highly likely.

My bet is it is down to some small installation error which was overlooked or forgotten about.

However being honest now the PH1's are so mild might be worth trying to sell them and going for PH3's or 708's. I don't think you will be overly happy with the PH1.

Also if you do fancy a VTS/GTI head. Not sure what condition this is actually in, however for £20 at moment / £50 buy it now.

- Click Here -

There is a reconditioned one for £120 on there as well.
bandyquill   
Mon Sep 06 2010, 02:50pm
Member No: #3258
if you want to fit them into mine to see if they work your more than welcome :P
Sonny   
Mon Sep 06 2010, 03:08pm
The weather's really not helping with trying to sort it out though.

Ive contacted Kam Racing to see what they think.

Thanks for your help guys ill keep you posted.
Rich_Eason   
Tue Sep 07 2010, 02:07am

Member No: #90
Stab in the dark - I take you've not touched any of the injectors etc as they needed resetting after their removal etc... There was a thread on here the other week about it...granted it was a diesel (I think) but it was suffering similar syptoms...
Sonny   
Tue Sep 07 2010, 03:16pm
Well I rang Cituning they agreed that they should fit, but they won't work on standard timing and require verniers to work, something I was never told when buying them.

The cams were taken off today and now everythings running perfect, I just have a set of cams doing nothing.

So tomorrow fingers crossed I can get my money back off them or find someone who'll take them off me.
bandyquill   
Tue Sep 07 2010, 03:23pm
how much are the verniers for it ? not just worth getting those and re-doing the timing... if not how much for the cams :P

edit: the pulleys on these should work ? tom ? - Click Here -
wozza   
Tue Sep 07 2010, 03:38pm

Honestly if you are going to the expense of cams might as well do it properly.

Newman PH3 or Catcam 708s, Verniers, and a GTI or VTs head which have larger valves etc.

Least then the springs etc are better as the rev range for the power is pushed up to around 7000rpm. Less chance of things going pop as well.

I know cams aren't cheap to do properly but if you are going to go to that expense might as well get it done right straight away. Remember you will need a remap with cams really.

Looking at doing them on the 180 even then I am looking at £1200 ish for everything. And they are basically a straight swap on the 180 just need a single vernier on the VTS though. As it retains the standard vanos pulley.
Sonny   
Tue Sep 07 2010, 04:10pm
bandyquill wrote ...

how much are the verniers for it ? not just worth getting those and re-doing the timing... if not how much for the cams :P

edit: the pulleys on these should work ? tom ? - Click Here -

They should be ok as thats one of the reason why they wont work, a C2 VTS has adjustable pulleys and ours don't.

Ill see what kam racing say tomorrow if ive no luck. ill P.M you
lee_k   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 11:16am
i used ot have a c2 vts, wouldnt bother with PH1's tbh if your camming!

I have some saxo VTS cams under my bed which are prob not far off the ph1 profile (saxo vts has more aggressive cams than c2 vts) if anyone wants them they can have them for £30!
bandyquill   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 03:11pm
do they have the adjustable verniers on them ?
wozza   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 03:32pm

Who puts verniers on standard cams you plank :-P

Looking at around £250 for verniers, although if you are doing that, might be worth getting a light weight crank pulley etc as well.
bandyquill   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 03:34pm
hmmmmm sounds like a money pit.. and i have no idea about whats needed on this, its a big learning curve :P
wozza   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 03:59pm

Unfortunately N/A engines aren't cheap to get power from. If you want more grunt you have to have deep pockets.
bandyquill   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 04:00pm
to be honest i think an engine transplant for a Vtec would be cheaper than getting more power from a 1.6..
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member