or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 HDi What a dipstick!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 07:05am

Member No: #82
The driver's manual says the dipstick has "FULL" and "FILL" markers, but where are they?

I assume the top of the flared spline is "FULL" and if there's no oil on the stick, then it's time to fill it.

After wiping the stick, I put it back so I'm concluding it's fine.

The end hasn't dropped off, has it

wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 10:07am

Member No: #2
Mine looks very different....

Mine has lines on it with full and min wrote on it. With numerous lines in between.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 10:27am

Member No: #1
wozza wrote ...

Mine looks very different....

Mine has lines on it with full and min wrote on it. With numerous lines in between.

JD your end looks as though it's dropped off and is somewhere in the sump

C4 110 HDi Dipstick:

j-c   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 11:05am
SO looking at Bj's picture it would appear there is too much oil in it...

Mind you I have to say, seems a bad design imho the thin part where it joins the big part looks like it could snap off in a strong wind....nice technical description

Why couldn't they use a normal metal one?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 11:14am

Very Good point j-c - I would have posted one with the oil level on but my car is parked on a slope so had to wipe it

Now then it appears to be a fairly common issue so what is the fix?

Does it need the sump off to remove the offending piece - will it cause any damage if left alone?

Phil, GTA Turbo??
wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 12:01pm

Member No: #2
Mine is a normal metal one.

Which is why I said very different. Guessing the petrols have different dip sticks?
Ciaran2903   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 12:31pm
j-c wrote ...

Surely the bottom of the broken dipstick will read from the bottom of the sump, and therefore he does not actually have too much oil..?!?!
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 12:40pm

Ciaran2903 wrote ...

j-c wrote ...

Surely the bottom of the broken dipstick will read from the bottom of the sump, and therefore he does not actually have too much oil..?!?!

No it won't actually

When you push it in it stops at a collar at the top so fully inserted as far as it will go the reading is then taken

If the lower end is missing it doesn't go in any further and if the oil is above the shoulder then it looks like it's overfilled

As for wozza comment - each engine looks like it has a different type of dipstick - j-c you have a 2.0 HDi - is yours plastic or Metal?

Anyone with a 180 VTS whats the dipstick made of?

Lets have a quick survey on this for future reference
robotcar   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 01:05pm
My 2 litre petrol (138bhp) has a metal stick for dipping, with two notches one for min and one for max...
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 01:18pm

Thanks everyone, especially for the photos. Problem identified.

I'm not too worried about the excess of oil, but I am worried about where the end of the dipstick is and how to measure the oil in the sump.

I don't suppose a replacement dipstick is too much of a problem, the 15 or 20 cm of missing dipstick is.

And I'm off to Scotland in the morning for two weeks. OH, Ess Aitch One Tee!
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
  (12 Feb 2011 : 15:55)
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 01:26pm

OK so that clarifies that Petrol ones are 'Metal' and 'Diesel are 'Plastic' - thanks guys

Plus the 2.0 Diesel looks a 'stronger' construction as well - now why??

BJD enjoy your holiday - there's nothing much you can do at this stage I'm afraid - if there was an issue you would have had a 'low oil warning light' (one assumes) and looking at your picture that isn't an issue anyway
Rich_Eason   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 01:30pm

Member No: #90
If I remember rightly its like a coiled spring with a flat wire at the end with graduations...metal. I'd take a pic but I'm covered in compo from laying me slabs!

Perhaps the sump locations are different. If its directly down on the diesel perhaps a rigid design is all that is required the 180 one goes around the houses to get to the sump...
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:00pm

It's not my day.

The SatNav I ordered has been despatched - probably arriving tomorrow after I've left!

I need a big long G&T.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
  (12 Feb 2011 : 15:58)
Phil   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:01pm

Member No: #406
c4owner wrote ...

Does it need the sump off to remove the offending piece - will it cause any damage if left alone?

Phil, GTA Turbo??

The first couple we came across we took the sumps off to retrive the end, now Citroen say there's no need to, and won't pay us anymore for doing so. I guess they must feel it's entirely safe.
1 User said Thank You to Phil for this Post :
 wesso (09 Dec 2017 : 07:13)
BigJohnD   
Wed Aug 08 2007, 02:06pm

Phil wrote ...
The first couple we came across we took the sumps off to retrive the end, now Citroen say there's no need to, and won't pay us anymore for doing so. I guess they must feel it's entirely safe.

Hello, Phil,

Are you saying that:
a) this is a known thing?
b) there's no further action required than to buy a new, hopefully improved, dipstick?
and
c) do I get free dipstick under warranty?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member