or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 Remote locking key fob

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
neilp   
Tue Apr 07 2009, 11:06am
Member No: #3384
My key fob fell apart at the weekend and when I went to the local dealer I was told the replacement fob was about £100 and I would have to wait about 2 or 3 weeks. Then it would be £40 to program. That could have been + VAT for all I know, I didn't ask.

I was pointed to a local locksmiths who supplied a new key/ fob and programmed the next day for £85.

Now I guess some of you will tell me I could have got it cheaper and program it myself, but at the time it seemed a good deal to me.

If you are in the Nottingham area it's 3D Autokeys at the top of Westdale Lane.

Mine is a C4 but I think they do the Picasso as well.

Neil

just found this link - Click Here -
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Apr 07 2009, 01:26pm

Member No: #1
Thanks for that, it was bound to happen in the end, a locksmith being able to supply the keys rather than a dealer

It's the first confirmed post we have had and great news.

£85 sounds good to me for a complete key, cutting and programming

I see they cover Cheshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire as well

Thanks for the link
G Force   
Tue Apr 07 2009, 05:50pm
If your car is still under warrenty you can have the key replaced free of charge. I had mine replaced and it took them under an hour to reprogram the new fob! sounds like your local dealer is sticking his hand in!
BigJohnD   
Wed Apr 08 2009, 04:05am

Member No: #82
Is it not possible to buy a case, which for most people is all that's dodgy? Surely it's possible just to transfer the blade, circuit board and battery into the new casing?

I've done that with other car keys when the rubber case wore out.
neilp   
Wed Apr 08 2009, 11:40am
Hmm, must admit the £15 one looks like the one I have. The image with the label on the side looks like mine. But never mind, paid for now. Perhaps it'll help others.
Neil

Forgot to say the locksmith said it was quite a common fault and they had seen a few broken like mine...
Dave_Retired.   
Mon May 04 2009, 07:37am

Posted for giorgos3 following his experiences getting a key

There are numerous 'offers' from non Citroen Dealers saying they can supply key fobs for a C4 but do they work?

The question is if the blade is cut to fit the ignition, will these steps work to reprogram the key to the car (since it's used, just the blade is new)? :

- Key in ignition (ignition off)

- Turn key to ignition on, and press and hold locking button for about 5 secs.

- Release button on fob

- Turn ignition off

- Wait about 10-15secs and fob programming should be complete.

Answer:

Firstly the instructions are not programming instructions but re-sync details to program a remote that has already been programmed with Citroen Lexia/Proxia diagnostics before. Its for the remote if the buttons have stopped working for some reason.

Secondly if you have bought a already been programmed key it will be useless. The keys start the career as virgin and lock to a car after programming. This is done with codes and diagnostics.

Thirdly even if you buy a new off eBay as this is the guess where you got it from its a good chance even it has not been programmed it will be the incorrect one as their are 5 that look the same as the C4 and they don't swap over.

This remote is a one car programming remote. From the first day it is sold it starts off its life virgin. As soon as you program the remote it changes the chip to imprint the cars information too it. This way the remote now can only be reprogrammed to the same car.

ONLY buy this remote if it is brand new in a parts bag. Many advertise this remote as new with a new key blade. DON'T be fooled. The condition is new but it has already been programmed. Please make sure it has not been programmed to another car.

Also beware each model has a different remote and part number even though they look the same. Even if you find a new one make sure the part number matches the part number you get from your dealership to your chassis number. No remote works each other.

This remote is on Newer C2, C3 also on C4, C4 Picasso and C5 facelift.

The information for this remote is exact to what is written above. DO NOT buy unless it is brand new. All dealerships will only order these cut already to a car. So sometimes you can fins a new remote already cut but again make sure it has not been programmed before. Also make sure the car it came off as again they don't work each other model.

For about 90% of the cars you need brand new remotes and the ones off eBay are a waste of time. Reviews on eBay:
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 static (18 Aug 2017 : 06:29)
neilp   
Mon May 04 2009, 02:08pm
Like I said, I have mine now from a locksmith & it was fully "activated" plus blade cut for £85. A lot better than the £140+ quoted by the dealer.
But it's good to warn other about the possible perils of ebay buys.
Brucemac   
Mon Nov 02 2009, 03:36pm
Member No: #3640
Are keys still covered under warranty? I just ask because i went into the local dealership for a service on my C4P and a fault with the tension srping on the key fob and i was told that citroen no longer cover keys under warranty

Just wondered if anyone heard any different?

c4andy   
Tue Nov 03 2009, 06:26am
not a bad price,i was quoted £176 + vat from my local dealer,sometimes you are tied to the dealer as a second hand c4 remote can not be reprogrammed,and would be a waste of money,and have added your link to favourites for future reference
diesel_dog   
Tue Nov 03 2009, 10:33am
Brucemac = I would assume they still are under warranty mate, it's a known fault with the key's.
vtr+++   
Sun Feb 14 2010, 09:33am
Hi all,
My key fob's tension spring it shot and the key flips and flops all over the place.
Still works, the electric door locking still works but i guess it's just a materialistic thing I'd like to get sorted really.

If i were to buy just a new case, would i still be able to use the same circuit board and blade? Just swap them over?

Cheers
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Feb 14 2010, 10:02am

Yes you can swap them over
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 TomOnC4 (09 Oct 2012 : 14:39)
BigJohnD   
Sun Feb 14 2010, 03:40pm

Member No: #82
Yes, but be careful. It's quite easy to damage the case when removing the blade.
Marty.tha.mouse   
Thu Aug 05 2010, 06:18am
Sorry to kick this topic up again, but I've got a question about the key..

Ive bought a fob case with 3 buttons from ebay but it's just a fraction bigger than my original key.

I just wanted to replace the case because the rubber inlay is wearing off.. But since the blade doesn't fit in my new case I have to got the blade cut by an keysmith

But actually I was wondering if the case itself is available from citroen itself? Is there a separate partnumber or can one only get the whole key?

Thanks..
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Aug 05 2010, 07:49am

You can only get a whole key from Citroen which is why we have all these discussions on alternative options.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member