or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

C4s with tyre pressure sensors, look after them!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jun 13 2010, 02:07pm

Member No: #1
Well I left FCS today at 2.15 pm for a 200 mile journey and had gone 2 miles when the Service light came on and a low tyre pressure warning to go with it on the nearside rear (the C6 uses the same sensing valves as the C4)

Stopped at the first garage to check the pressure and.......................

Yep, the plastic dust cap wouldn't come off (a common problem) b****r

So, trying to force off with pliers is highly likely to shear the valve stem and I didn't fancy a 200 mile drive on the 55mph restricted spare so what to do?

Cut the dust cap off to check the pressure and rule out a faulty sender unit

Guess what though, I had no knife, nor did the garage so as the tyre looked OK decided to carry on to the next garage to see if they could help

At the 4th garage after 40 miles (no one had a knife or sold tools) I had a bit of luck, a Gilbarco service engineer was fixing a pump and lent me a knife so I was able to cut the cap off and add some air.

Yes the pressure was low and the system reset OK.

Just confirms though that you should check the caps regularly to ensure they don't seize on and keep them lubricated with something non setting, oh and carry a knife just in case they still decide to lock themselves on, never try and get them off with pliers
BigJohnD   
Sun Jun 13 2010, 03:46pm

Member No: #82
Worra pain. But apart from the jammed cap, the system did warn you of low pressure. Do you have a puncture?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 01:26am

BigJohnD wrote ...

Worra pain. But apart from the jammed cap, the system did warn you of low pressure. Do you have a puncture?

Not as far as I know John, but haven't checked as once the error went I put the car in drive and headed for home with the go pedal firmly down

I will have to check them all later this morning.
Rich_Eason   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 02:27am

Member No: #90
A couple of times mine correctly showed up low pressure warnings, but no puncture.

WRT to the caps...being the considerate motor owners that we are, if we all checked our tyre pressures weekly as we should perhaps we wouldnt have a problem with the caps sticking!
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 03:06am

Yes I know Rich, but I had a lot on before we left and didn't check the tyres.

Lesson learned!
bluehdi   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 11:09am
Member No: #2617
Dave,

Appreciate the warning on this - I certainly don't want any massive bills with mine if they play up.

I've got the tyre pressure monitoring on my GP and have checked it was working when I first got it by removing air from one tyre and up popped the warning on the display screen.

When I look at the valve though, mine appear to be rubberised. What I have read implies that the monitoring type of valve stems are metal. I thought one of the main problems was metal dust caps welding themselves on and not being easy to get off? Mine are plastic.

I check my tyre pressures regularly and only ever do the black plastic dust caps up enough to tighten them slightly. Is there anything in particular to keep them lubricated with that you can recommend?

Thanks
Rich_Eason   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 11:26am

Member No: #90
rencar wrote ...

I check my tyre pressures regularly and only ever do the black plastic dust caps up enough to tighten them slightly. Is there anything in particular to keep them lubricated with that you can recommend?

Sounds stupid but I would use pencil lead with a high graphite content. Scrape it all over the valve stem threads, enough to break the contacting surfaces.

Using grease will attract dirt and dust and also may clog the inside of the valve preventing it to release and retain pressure.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 12:58pm

Mine were Plastic caps and had seized on............

It has been suggested that when you wash the car, unscrew the caps and put them back to ensure there free. If you want to use a lubricant, Ferrasol is good.
danfelix   
Wed Dec 01 2010, 09:33am
I had same problem with my caps, I did however very gently get them off with plyers, and then put new ones on (with some nice grease)! and so far problem seems solved!
Cpt.Iglo   
Wed Oct 11 2017, 09:48am
Member No: #46582
Slight bump here, the problem I have had two times now is that the valve stem just disintegrates. It won't leak air, but I can't get air in, because the connection to the valve stem isn't air tight and as soon as you put the airgun on it, it will release air instead of pumping air in.

And those things are expensive, I had 2 of them fail like this already.
FakeConcern   
Wed Oct 11 2017, 11:15am
Member No: #24127
I have some like that on the original wheels. The aftermarket wheels now fitted have standard valves.
routemaster1   
Fri Oct 13 2017, 09:37am
Member No: #574
Please bear in mind that this only applies to earlier cars with pressure sensors in each wheel. It does not apply to later cars which have the indirect system (now a requirement)which work from the ABS sensors.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member